As a dental benefits company, we obviously care a great deal about oral health. That being said, we know candy isn’t exactly the best thing for your teeth. But who are we to deprive you of Halloween?
It’s possible to do your part in passing out healthier treats than the usual Halloween fare. Not only are these trick-or-treat trinkets tooth-friendly, kids are guaranteed to love them. You might even be the most popular stop in the neighborhood!
1. Milk or Dark Chocolate: Chocolate is one of the best options to give to trick-or-treaters. Chocolate melts fast and washes off of teeth easily, making it harder for bacteria to cling to enamel.
2. Sugar Straws: We know powdery candy is mostly made of pure sugar (hence the name, “SUGAR straws”). And like chocolate, powdery candy dissolves quickly and doesn’t stick to your teeth.
3. Sugarless Gum: Kids love this long-lasting, bubble-making candy. We encourage sugar-free gum because it’s a super saliva generator that removes food particles from your mouth. Look for a sugar-free gum that contains xylitol, a sweetener that reduces mouth bacteria.
1. Temporary Tattoos & Stickers: Stickers are inexpensive and universally loved. Feel free to add temporary tattoos to the mix – they’re like stickers that last longer! Bonus: Watch little ones delight as they choose their favorite spooky sticker or temporary tattoo.
2. Glowsticks: These unique treasures will bring bright lights to the Halloween night.
3. Dress-up Accessories: Give little ones a costume helper! Small items like vampire teeth, an eye patch, costume jewelry or sunglasses, make (fun) additions to the treat tote.
In preparation for tomorrow’s big night, we suggest buying 1-2 items from each category. When your trick-or-treaters arrive, let them pick one treat and one treasure.
Once the night comes to a close, give yourself a pat on the back – you gave your trick-or-treaters a happy (and healthy!) Halloween. After the trick-or-treat traffic, but before you hit the hay, remember to brush and floss!