Broccolini, the cousin of broccoli, is the perfect vegetable. Not only is it a milder flavor than traditional broccoli, but it is provides more health benefits, too! This hearty green veggie has all these wonderful vitamins and minerals that promote oral and overall health:
- Vitamins C, B1, B2, B5, B6, E, K, PP
- Fatty acids
- Antioxidant abilities
- Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Iron, Zinc, Manganese and Copper
That’s a lot of nutrients. So, how exactly do they support oral health?
Broccolini is packed with Vitamin C. This particular vitamin helps support collagen, a protein in our gum tissue. A deficiency in Vitamin C can directly impact the mouth and lead to inflamed or bleeding gums. Vitamin E has antioxidant properties. It has been used to treat severe periodontal disease.
Calcium is critical to our teeth and bone health. Phosphorous and Calcium go hand-in-hand. They both support strengthening teeth and bones. Potassium is also a big supporter of dental health, too. Studies show that low potassium intake is linked with periodontal inflammation and high blood pressure.
Have we convinced you yet? Because broccolini is one of our favorites. This recipe takes less than 10 minutes and is delicious and nutritious. Try out a few seasonings of your own and let us know how you liked it!
- Bunch of broccolini (about 7 stems per person)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt, pepper and lemon to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and place on high heat to boil.
- Wash the broccolini and cut off the stems.
- Once the water is boiling, add the veggies and boil for two minutes. Quickly blanching vegetables and removing them while they are still crisp helps them retain their nutrients.
- Place a strainer in the sink. After boiling the broccolini for two minutes, remove from stove and pour into the strainer in the sink. Rinse with cold water or add to ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Chop 1 clove of garlic. Combine with veggie, salt, pepper and olive oil in the same pot.
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice. Cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the broccolini appears saturated with water, turn the heat up slightly for a browning effect.
Pair with a main dish like this Lemon Baked Salmon with Mint Yogurt Sauce!
Looking for more on nutrients that supports our oral and overall health? Click here for more:
Looking for more on nutrients that supports our oral and overall health? Check out